Wednesday, June 1, 2016

What I've Been Up to Lately




     I have just completed my year-long sabbatical from blogging. Needless to say, it has been an interesting year and a rewarding season of life. For those of you who have asked, I want to catch you up on what I have been up to.
     First, I have been writing. My fifth book, Lectures From The Gates Of Hell, is due to be released next month. This book presents a fictional depiction of Satan's minions and their coordinated attempts to destroy the work of God on earth. Similar to CS Lewis' Screwtape Letters, it is told from the vantage point of the demonic , primarily at the New College for Young Demons.
     The book provides a biblical analysis of how Satan intends to destroy God's work and the human race. As you read it, do not be surprised when you say, "that has happened to me." The book is instructive and carries a sober warning of Satan's schemes aimed at the destruction of the human race. In short, Satan is an equal-opportunity tormenter and his strategic plans have been unfolding for generations. No one is secure from his attacks. I will tell you more about the book in the coming weeks. I have also had a few smaller writing projects which will be published in the coming year.
     Besides writing, I have also been preaching. By the way, if you would like to have me speak for you, I can be contacted though FaceBook or at my Liberty university email, jsutton2@liberty.edu.
     Along with writing and preaching, I have also been teaching for Liberty University's School of Divinity. My primary responsibilities have been teaching an assortment of Church History courses, but I have also taught several classes in Pastoral Leadership.
     Coupled with my writing, preaching, and teaching, I have also had the privilege of working with Dr. Elmer Towns as a curriculum consultant. It has been a real honor to work with the remaining co-founder of Liberty University.
     In addition to these things, I have been able to spend some quality time with my wife, Fern, and our kids and grandsons. I can give testimony to the truthfulness of Proverbs' observation that the glory of gray haired men is their children's children!
     I have also been diligent to maintain my health. Besides a litany of shorter races, I have run two half-marathons, Richmond and Washington DC, this past year. I am looking forward to competing in more races this year.

     That is all for now. You can expect to hear from me once or twice a week from this point forward. I would appreciate any feedback. Also, if you find my blog posts meaningful or encouraging, feel free to recommend it to others.

8 comments:

  1. Dr. Sutton, thank you for sharing. I am glad that you continue to have a fruitful ministry of writing, teaching and preaching at Liberty. I am grateful for how you helped me discern my own call to ministry so many years ago. I grew tremendously under your preaching and profited from your counsel. May God continue to use you to influence others to follow Christ and grow in their walk with Him. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Todd! It's good to hear from you again.

      Delete
  2. We really miss your family. You were such a mentor to me when I needed it most......you probably didn't have a clue the impact you had on my family dynamics! We love you and your precious family! Bobbie Tudor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and your sweet family were such a blessing to us Bobbie!

      Delete
  3. I have shared it with my Pastors. Our church has close connections with Liberty and Dr. Elmer Towns. He has spoken at our church (Morningside Church)numerous times. Looking forward to your book being available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Leanne! Fern and I are proud of you!

      Delete
  4. I find this most interesting and encouraging & am looking forward to reading "Lectures From the Gates of Hell".

    ReplyDelete