Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Grateful for the Life and Ministry of Don Miller




I first met Don Miller when I was a seminary student and he touched my life. He was a spiritual giant in my mind. I invited him to lead prayer conferences where I served as pastor on multiple occasions. He and TW Hunt were the two greatest men of prayer I have ever known. I was blessed to get to know both of them. Don faithfully prayed for me daily for over 30 years. What a gift!

This past Wednesday, Don Miller, at the age of 93, stepped into Heaven. Yesterday morning, I drove down to Fort Worth from Shawnee, Oklahoma (where Fern and I are helping to take care of our 2 year old grandson and our new born grandson) to attend Dons funeral.

The service was simple and unique. It began with a 10 minute montage of Don's life, actually Don and Libby's life. Libby has been a wonderful partner in ministry for Don.The music was simple consisting of several classic hymns especially on prayer. The highlight of the service was each of the four children sharing their remembrances of their dad. It was justifiably heavy on family and focused on their precious memories of Don as a man of God.

Here, for me, are some bits of wisdom from the life of Don Miller for me. Don said, "When you find yourself in the darkness, simply pray, 'What now, Lord? 'Now listen for God's answer." "When you read your Bible, look for God on every page? What is God telling you about Himself?"

He often prayed, "Lord, make me humble, make me real, and make me honest."

For Don, prayer was war. It was taking back from Satan what he had stolen from God. It was the passion of Don's life to see another awakening. He wanted to see the people of our nation turn to God.

He often said that Matthew 26:41 was the greatest prayer package in the world. Moreover, he encouraged people to meditate on Matthew 26:36-46. Let this soak into the depths of your soul!

A final thought of Don's shared during his funeral was his belief that the local church is the hope of the world. Whatever God will do in the world, he will do through the local church.


These are a few of the spiritual nuggets from Don that will live with me the rest of my days. My prayer now is, "Lord, raise up more men of God like Don Miller, men mighty in prayer."

No comments:

Post a Comment