Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Hard work, Preparation, and Goals: 6 Lessons from the Virginia 10 Miler

JC and I after the race.

This past Saturday, my son-in-law Juan Carlos (I call him JC) and I ran the Virginia 10 Miler road race in Lynchburg. I've run some some 5Ks this past year and have been averaging 20-25 miles running each week so long as I haven't been interrupted by unforeseen circumstances. Still, the most I have run recently up to the race was 7 miles on a flat course. Gratefully, the weather was cool and clear. We had a fine time and have good memories of a well-organized race. Still, the race was tough with its hills and completing it was difficult.  Looking back on the race I have several reflections I'd like to share with you from running the Virginia 10-Miler.

1. Not everyone is created equal. Talent must be combined with hard work. The elite runners, mostly from Kenya, were finishing when I was at the 5 mile marker. I am amazed at their stamina, strength, and speed. Clearly, their genes are different than mine. Still, these runners were making the most of their ability. Talent still requires hard work to accomplish anything great.

2. Preparation precedes performance. The better prepared, the better people perform. Preparation includes time, energy, and effort. Some people trained all year to do their best. I applaud them for their stick-to-itiveness. 

3. There is no substitute for conditioning. Even though I have run in the past, even completed a marathon, over the past three years with its busyness, I did not have the time to be in condition to even finish a 10 miler. This is determined by decisions. For the most part, I am in as good a condition physically as I choose to be. It’s important to remember that yesterday's conditioning is no substitute for today's conditioning.

4. If I want to improve next year, I cannot wait until the last minute, week, or even month to get started. I know what needs to be done. I will need to work on distance and endurance. I will need to work on hills. I will need to work on speed drills and intervals. So, for me, this year is a base line. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

5. Goals drive discipline. If I know what I want to accomplish, I will break it up into a series of smaller goals. The big goal helps me stay motivated to work each week to improve.

6. In life, we often compete with ourselves. My goal was not to beat my son-in-law. It is to beat me. How can I improve over what I've done in the past? I am also competing with Father Time. I want to do what I can while I can. Like Jesus said, "The night is coming when no man can work." If I'm going to compete, I better do it now...and have fun doing it.
On my high school track team on the left, at the finish line of the Virginia 10 Miler on the right.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! And a fun memory. Such a good point that talent without hard work is null.

    ReplyDelete