Tuesday, August 20, 2013

3 Stages to Redeeming Your Time: Solve problems, Make Decisions, Plan Effectively.


Work consists of three primary activities: problem solving, decision making, and planning. In his book 30 Days to Confident Leadership Bob Biehl shares a method of time management built around these three aspects of work. I use Biehls' method when I teach my PhD students how to more effectively manage their time. Today I'm sharing with you the important steps to take and questions to ask to ensure that you are making the most of your time at all three stages.

1. Problem solving. This is past oriented. What went wrong? A problem is something that went contrary to expectations. It is often manifested in what I like to call "the law of unintended consequences." Dr. Phil often puts it this way, "how's that working for you?" Point: it's not.

When Solving Problems:
  • Learn to ask questions.
  • Ask, in one sentence, "what is the problem?"
  • What are the facts related to this problem?
  • Why does the problem exist?
  • Who can help me solve this problem?
  • What resources can I bring to bear on this problem?
  • Of all the potential solutions, which has the greatest potential to be right?
  • What policy would keep this problem from recurring?



2. Decision making. This is oriented toward the present. It determines what we do right now. I think of this in terms of forms. Moral decisions are between right and wrong. Wisdom decisions are between wise and foolish actions or words. Priority decisions are choices between that which is good, better, or best. Of course decisions are all predicated on what you want to be, accomplish, or avoid.

When Making Decisions:
  • Pray for wisdom.
  • Gather your facts.
  • Ask, "what are my alternative decisions?"
  • Ask, "what are the consequences of each decision?"
  • Ask, "who will be affected?"
  • Ask objective third parties for feedback.
  • Ask, "am I setting a precedent?" or "am I following a precedent?"
  • Ask the "what, why, who, where, when and how much" questions.
  • Ask, "what if no decision is made?"



3. Planning. This is future oriented. It determines what you want to accomplish. It is a predetermined course of action directed toward a desired result. It manifests itself in goals. We see this often in "to do" lists.

When Planning:
  • Pray and ask God, "What do you want me to accomplish?
  •  Write out what you would like to see accomplished.
  • Be specific.
  • Write the goal so that results can be measured.
  • Seek appropriate help.
  • Ask, "am I willing to pay the price?"
  • Ask yourself, "why do I want to reach these goals?"
  • Ask, "what will happen if I do not achieve these goals?" What is at stake?


Which aspect of time management is the most challenging for you? Do you ever skip one of these steps? 

No comments:

Post a Comment