Monday, February 11, 2013

What Are You Passing On to the Next Generation?


Each one of us is constantly passing on what we have received. In the same way that Paul described his teaching concerning the Lord's Supper to the Corinthians, "that which I have received, I have delivered unto you," (1Corinthians 11:23) by our words, our deeds, and even our attitudes, we are passing on what we received.

Now, let me tell you about two great saints that passed what they had onto me. Their names are Floyd Simpson and David Mills.

Floyd Simpson spent years serving as a pastor before he went to work at the old Baptist Sunday School Board now known as LifeWay Christian Resources. One day he called me and asked if I had The Great Books of the Western World collection by Encyclopedia Britannica. When I said no, he related that he had a set that was not being used and asked if I would like to have them. I said yes and have enjoyed them now for well over a decade.

In the same manner, David Mills one of my Deacons and a Bible teacher in our church called me one day and asked if I had the collection of 20 Centuries of Great Preaching. This anthology of historic sermons from biblical times to the present is the classic collection of great preaching. When I said no, he said,"I want to give them to you." What a nice surprise. I have used this set of books as I have taught preaching over the last five years.

From both Floyd and David, I received books they were not going to use but have been invaluable to me. More important than books, however, was their encouragement.

All this leads me to ask you, what are you passing on to the next generation? Attitudes, possessions, words, and examples are all important. Let's be intentional in what we pass on. And for what we receive, let's express our gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment