Thursday, January 12, 2012

"Baptist World"

For those of you who know me, you are aware that I was born, raised as, and have invested my life as a servant of Jesus Christ among Southern Baptists. With all of its multiple flaws, I am still hopeful that the Lord will use the Southern Baptist Convention.

After 32 years as a senior pastor, I transitioned to the wonderful world of academia. For two years I taught homiletics (preaching) and church history  at Liberty's Seminary. I had a gratifying experience and made some lifelong friends. It was a joy to be a member of Thomas Road Baptist Church. I enjoyed my stint as interim pastor at North Main Baptist Church in Danville, VA. In Virginia, we had a wonderful experience with wonderful people. 

Then suddenly and unexpectedly, I was invited to come to Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Kansas City, MO where I presently serve as Dean of the Faculty, Vice President of Academic Development and Professor of Preaching and Church History. Yes, I stay busy. And I love it. I have grown to love the administration, the faculty, staff, students and their families here at Midwestern. We love our new church family at Lenexa Baptist Church. To say the least, I have been in and around "Baptist World" most of my life.

Presently, "Baptist World" is going through a transition. The Cooperative Program (CP), which is our cooperative method of raising and allocating funds to support our many ministries is in the process of being redefined. Whether it is the redefining of CP or simply the economic downturn, the amount of dollars going to CP has significantly decreased. 

I know that where I teach and lead the faculty, gifts from CP for the year are off about $300,000 to us this fiscal year. What does this mean? It means five less faculty, or a reduction of salary to already under paid professors, or ten less support staff; or perhaps it means less mission trips, or less of an ability to recruit students, or less of an ability to minister to students. You get the point. 

One unique agreement among Southern Baptists is that the institutions and agencies which receive CP funds are not permitted to ask the churches specifically for help. Our school, for example, is not permitted to solicit churches or to request extra offerings to help us even in times of need. If 500 of our churches decided to put us into our budget for just $100 a month it would really help make up our short fall. 

If individuals want to help us, they certainly may. We pray they will. In trying to maintain our integrity and strictly adhering to guidelines we find ourselves in need. I am actually looking forward to seeing how God will provide. We covet your prayers and trust in the Lord.

From this little corner of "Baptist World", I will keep you posted on how things are going.

No comments:

Post a Comment