Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2011 Reflections

To say the least, this past year has been momentous in my life.


In January, I was hired to serve as Vice-President of Academic Development and Dean of the Faculty at Midwestern Seminary. So after putting down two years of roots in Lynchburg and Liberty, Fern and I sold our home and relocated to Kansas City, Missouri.

In February, my father passed away from Leukemia. From diagnosis to death was only five and a half weeks. Never is a man more conscious of his own mortality than when his own father passes away.


Later in the Spring, I had the privilege of delivering the H. I. Hester Lectures on Preaching at Midwestern Seminary. 


About the same time, my newest book, A Primer on Biblical Preaching, was released by CrossBooks Publishers.


In the fall, I presented my first paper to The Evangelical Theological Society meeting in San Francisco. My title was "Seeing the Father in the Face of the Son." It was the results of an inductive study of the Gospels asking and attempting to answer the question, "if the Father relates to humanity the identical way that Jesus related to humanity, what patterns and principles can we discern?"


At the conclusion of this past year, I reworked and updated a paper I wrote for Reformation scholar William Estep on "James Arminius and the Dutch Reformation." It is included in the fall edition of the Midwestern Journal of Theology.


2011 was an eventful year. I can hardly wait to see what will happen in 2012. Did you learn any life-changing lessons this past year? Please share! 

1 comment:

  1. My biggest lesson in 2012 was through studying the book of Job and gaining a new view on who God is and how He is doing the best thing for me at each moment of my life even when I am struggling or don't understand. Through this study the Lord was able to truly teach me what contentment is and how I can have joy in Him even when I don't like the road He has me walking.

    ReplyDelete