Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Working Ahead Toward 2014


When I worked as a Senior Pastor, I used from Thanksgiving until New Year's Day to think about, pray about, and plan for the coming year. Whether you are in vocational ministry or not, this is the right time of year to be doing the same thing. So, what do you plan to accomplish next year? It is easier for The Lord to redirect a person in motion than to motivate a person who is standing still. So, what are your plans? Here are mine.

First, I break my life up into categories. It is not that I intend to compartmentalize, just make sure that all my bases are covered. My two big categories are Personal and Professional. I will address the Personal first.

1. What will I do to grow spiritually? I have a systematic study I am doing through the Scriptures. Also, I have a list of people I pray for on a regular basis. These are foundational to everything else we do. I want to make sure I am in the place to hear the Lord when He leads and speaks. I do not want to settle for left-overs or second best.

2. What will I do to grow intellectually? Like this past year, my goal is to read 25 books and on top of that appropriate articles. I want to be faithful to love God with all my mind. I find that I do not "find" time to read. I have to "make" time to read.

3. What will I do to grow physically? That comes under the category of health and fitness. I really want to reduce and not grow! This past year I have dropped from 227 to 200 lbs. I am aiming to drop another 20. It will be interesting. It will take being faithful to a weight training and running routine. I will need to drink more water and start eating breakfast as a routine which I have not done in recent years. I will also need to be aware of the foods I eat. One goal that I do have is to reduce my best 5K running time from this year by two minutes. That will be interesting.

4. How will I grow relationally? I intend to spend quality time with Fern (my precious wife), my family (have I talked too much about my grandson?), and my friends. I also want to be more of an encourager to those in my circle of influence. I will need to determine specifically how to do these things. The key, still, is planning.

Next, I will work on my Professional category. Here are some things I want to do.

1. Excel at work. I know that I have a strong combination of abilities and experiences. I want to take those and build. Building is in my DNA. Everywhere I have worked I have been a builder. There's more building to be done.

2. Continue writing. My intention is to complete two new books in 2014. I will also continue to write a weekly blog and a minimum of five intelligent tweets a day (I intend to provide these so that others can use them). My intention is to write another two scholarly articles in the coming year.

That's a snapshot of what I intend to do in the coming year. Of course, The Lord could alter these at any time. But, I teach my students, if you fail to plan you plan to fail. So, my intention is to succeed at what God has called me to do. My intention is to be a tool in the hands of God. He will determine my ultimate success or failure. My responsibility is to remain faithful and diligent.

Now, what are you planning to accomplish next year? Have you thought about it, prayed about it, and have you written it down? Have you allocated the necessary time to do what you have planned? I hope you get to the conclusion of 2014 and are amazed at what God enabled you to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment