Monday, December 31, 2012

Reflection and Anticipation at New Year's

Each year about this time, I think back over what has transpired and look ahead to the prospects of a new year. I keep in mind certain constants that, for me, set defining limits.

First, God is God. By this, I mean that as Lord, He can do whatever He desires. For me, I am reminded that the Lord has no limitations, so dream big and anticipate the unexpected. Corresponding to this is the fact that nothing will happen to me that God either causes or permits. Either way, whether times of trial and adversity, or breakthrough and advance, He is near. We should be ever mindful that God who is God is near. He is near to encourage, to comfort, to guide, to correct, to lead, to challenge, to reveal, to love, to create, and to save. The list could go on and on. After all, He is God!

Second, I am not God. This reminds me that at best, I am absolutely dependent on Him. It is a call to look for grace and exercise faith. What am I trusting God to do? What am I hearing Him say? Where am I seeing Him at work? What is God's will? What does He want for me and from me? What part do I play in His plan? My significance comes as I am rightly related to Him.

Finally, I must face reality. This is the distance between the first two constants. As a Christ follower, one truth is abundantly clear. I cannot reproduce what I want; I reproduce what I am. Therefore, it is imperative that I am not just being, but doing what is right. There must be an alignment between what I say and what I do. There must be an alignment between what I believe and what I practice. There must be an alignment between God's will and my will. No doubt, there  is a nonnegotiable alignment preparation and performance.

When my father passed away last year, I became painfully aware of my own mortality. The truth is, we are all here for a very short stay in light of eternity. Moses' words, " Lord, teach us to number my days that we may gain a heart of wisdom" (Psalm 90:12) has become a constant reminder of Jesus' words, "I must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day, for the night is coming when no one can work" (John 9:4). We do have all eternity to celebrate our victories but only a moment in time to win them! So think big, pray big, plan big, and aspire big; then trust God with all you are and with all your days!

2 comments:

  1. "There must be an alignment between what I say and what I do."

    Jerry, I'm reminded of something my early mentor Jesse McElreath used to tell us:

    1) Think right thoughts.

    2) Speak right words.

    3) Do right things.

    Couple of things I've learned over time, that have been accelerating the last few years.

    There's a progression, obviously, from 1 through 3. They build on and reinforce each other. That kind of lines them up with each other. But I can also inspect each of them in light of scripture and see whether they line up with Truth. If not, I can correct and start over.

    Great post to start a new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charles,
      Good insight! No doubt alignment between what we say and do is absolutely critical. Hope you and your family have a great 2013.
      Jerry

      Delete